Thursday, September 24, 2015

Why Woodturning Part A

Why Woodturning?

This is a question I’ve been asked many times: why do I “do” woodturning? Recently, I’ve been thinking about it a lot and have decided to share my thoughts in this blog. The initial answer to the question was a bit long, so I’ve split it into two posts. Here is the first part.

Some people think I do it to relieve the stress of the 50+ hours I currently work each week as a manager in a large retail company. However before I was a Retail Manager, I was a Manufacturing Supervisor working for a large multinational company working similar hours during the night, and before that I was a Fast Food Manager working for another multinational company (doing it their way many hours a week). I have been in management for over twenty-five years so by now I am well used to work pressures and working hard for long hours. Management is mostly head work and generally the work isn’t very much hands on unless you count all the pen pushing you have to do. I thought that if I was doing so much paperwork, I might as well have a nice pen but I could never afford a “good” one.

Before I worked in management, I was employed as a labourer on a building site, working for the family building contracting firm here in Galway. As soon as I was able to carry a block and hold I shovel and push a wheelbarrow, I was brought on the sites. Working as a labourer, I was primarily working with my hands and some basic tools; lifting things, carrying things, mixing things, pushing things, pulling things, shovelling things, sweeping things, digging things and the fun part was smashing things. Demolition was always done in a controlled manner. From an early age I learnt there was value in everything taken out of a demolition project; doors, windows, roof tiles, nails on the ground, and especially timber. The timber was always divided into two piles – for taking home for cutting up and burning, and the rest “for the shed”. The good timber from the demolition always went to the shed before it got wet with the intention of being used in a building project later on. The sheds were and are still full of wonderful pieces of timber, old doors, windows, furniture, and many other odds and ends. Some of the timber has sat in sheds for over forty years.

I always wondered what to do with all this timber and in 2010, got the loan of a lathe and some woodturning tools from a friend. I built a shed in my back garden which I christened the #ManShed. I dry lined and insulated the interior and put up a few shelves and made some simple workbenches. I wired the shed myself using reclaimed electrical fittings. I started to turn small pieces of timber into random shapes when I came home from work late at night. I hadn’t a clue what I was at initially, and grazed my fingers more than once, and dodged the flying chips many times. After watching a few YouTube videos, and getting advice from some woodturners,  I picked up some of the basic skills. Soon I was hooked on turning. I bought a kit of ten pen parts online and started making pens to hone my turning skills. The first few pens were chunky and rough efforts, but in time they got better. Soon I had to upgrade my lathe, buy new tools and a new chuck. I bought a cheap pillar drill and a second-hand table saw. I ended up giving the pens I made away for free as I never thought my pens were any good. I always believed I could make a better one.

From 2010 until 2013, I experimented with using different woodturning tools and settled on using the 5/8” gouge. I tried nearly every combination of finishes from kitchen polish, varnish, several different types of waxes, BLO (boiled linseed oil), different oils from the kitchen (e.g. walnut), and even using super glue! It took me quite a while to realise that the finish depended on the timber and not on what I wanted to use. There were times I felt like Edison (who knew 10,000 ways a lightbulb wouldn’t work). Similarly it took quite a bit of experimentation to figure out which finish to use. I knew quite a few ways which the finish on a pen would not work. I also started working with acrylic and that took a different set of skills to work on and to finish off the piece.

At the same time I was also experimenting with drying of timber. Sometimes I tried to turn wet timber, but it always fractured and caused a mess (not to mention nearly taking out my eye – thankfully I wear safety glasses and recently have also started to wear a safety mask). When the timber dried after turning, it always shrank and cracked. So I invested in a simple moisture meter I’ve learnt not to work with wood with moisture content greater than 5%. Now I had my supply issues sorted, I had a basic skill in woodturning, but I lacked the confidence in my ability and the motivation to start making pens as a business. The woodturning took a back seat as I got on with my life.


I have a story to tell on how my motivation and enthusiasm to turn wood was reinforced. I call the story “granny’s six pens” and I’ll tell it in part two of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment